High speed photography has a long history, Its practical application dates back to 1878. Eadward Muybridge shot a sequence of horses galloping. He took it to look at the age old question, are all of a horse’s feet off the ground at the same time when they are galloping. The answer to that is yes. Since then, people have had a lot of reasons to use high speed cameras. If you are looking to buy super slow motion cameras, there are some great reasons to rent before you buy or to just rent instead of buying.
6 Reasons to Consider Renting High Speed Cameras and Other Photo Equipment
- You will get higher end cameras for more reasonable prices. You want to use the latest 1000 FPS camera (frames per second) for your slow motion video project but the high end cameras are out of your price range and would break your budget. What can you do? When you rent, you can get a great quality high speed camera for a price that is possible even with a tight budget. This is one of the best reasons to rent high speed cameras rather than buy them.
- Try out expensive cameras before you buy them. Renting photo equipment lets you play with the high speed camera before you purchase it. Renting allows you to spend time with the various high speed cameras and accessories and see how you like working with them before you have to buy. Say you are considering one kind of high speed camera but have never used it, rent it for your project and then you have a better idea for how easy or hard it is to work with.
- You can build more redundancy into your project. If you are shooting an event or in a remote location, you may not have the ability to go back and do it over if some of your equipment does not work when you need it to. The good news about renting photo equipment is that you can afford to get more than one of some of the items that are crucial to the success of your project.
- Get the right lighting gear. if you are taking slow motion camera footage, you are going to need the right kinds of lighting. The faster the shutter speed, the more lighting you will need to produce a quality video. High speed cameras need not just a lot more light but the light sources need to be a better quality than what is needed by cameras with slower shutter speeds. Renting this is a lot less expensive than buying. Lighting gear is some of the most expensive of the photo accessories and it almost always makes a lot more sense to rent it rather than buy it.
- You can save on shipping. If you have a project that you have to travel a long distance to do, getting all of your photo equipment to the location may be a challenge in and of itself. You can save yourself all of that trouble and expense by renting everything you need once you arrive at the location. If you are going to ship your own equipment, you have to buy special cases to allow it to be sent to you safely and without problem. Renting all of the gear you need can save you a lot of money and hassle.
- You can use equipment that you could never afford. Are there some high speed cameras that you have always wanted to try that you know you could never afford to buy? If the answer is yes, renting that photo equipment might make a lot of sense. You can rent very high end high speed cameras, lighting and other camera equipment that is always going to be out of your range. Maybe you will take such amazing footage that you will grow your business and get to the point where you can afford more expensive photo equipment.
For people who are serious about their video projects, renting high speed cameras makes a lot of sense and can save you a lot of money.